On December 18, 2014 at 1:00 p.m., all Refworks accounts for Sheridan will be migrated to RefWorks’ main servers based in the United States.
What does this mean for RefWorks Account Holders?
- All of your references, folders, attachments, and shares stored in your Sheridan RefWorks account will be moved to U.S. servers and will now be subject to U.S. privacy laws, including the Patriot Act.
- There will be a new web address (URL) for accessing your RefWorks account. The Sheridan Library website will be updated with the new URL. From our homepage, click on RefWorks, then click on Login to RefWorks.
- If you use the Write-N-Cite plugin (now called ProQuest for Word), you will need to download a new version after migration. Please uninstall your current version and go to Tools > Write-N-Cite in your new RefWorks account to download the latest version of ProQuest for Word.
- If you use the RefGrab-It bookmarklet, you will need to download a new version after migration. Please uninstall your current version, log into your new RefWorks account and go to Tools > RefGrab-it.
- You will not be able to access your RefWorks account during the migration between 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. on December 18, 2014.
Why are we moving?
Currently, a consortium of libraries provides servers for hosting RefWorks in Canada. However, this service is being discontinued. All university accounts have been provided with the option to move to RefWorks, ProQuest USA. Our understanding is that while there are other citation management tools available to users, none offer Canadian hosting.
You do not wish to transfer your data to the U.S.?
If you do not wish to have your data moved to U.S. servers, you can export all of your data to another citation management system. Choose References > Export from the RefWorks menu. This exported file can be imported to other systems. NOTE: It will not be possible to export your attachments (files you added to existing references stored within your RefWorks database). Keep in mind that all online citation management systems utilize servers located outside of Canada.
If you prefer to have your account deleted, please notify email@example.com by December 15th. Include your RefWorks username and email address in the email message.
What if I still have questions?
If you have any concerns or questions about this process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org